
As if we don't have enough irons in the fire at this point in our life with moving Friday, renovating the new house, finishing up the school year, about to start T-ball and now, swim lessons, but it's fun and Noah loves it. Let me give you the back story on why we're doing swim lessons right now and not when it's a bit more
convenient. Our new house has a pond. We're a bit nervous with Noah knowing he'll need constant supervision. I thought taking swim lessons would prepare him a little bit for a water emergency if something
does happen. So at Noah's school's art fair a few weeks ago, there was a silent auction. One of the items to bid on was swim lessons at the YMCA. I bid and I won. We aren't YMCA members so swim lessons is $50. I only paid $25 which that money went to Noah's school. The gift certificate had a limited time period, so I
had to use it. And just in the nick of time, too, because the Y's last chance to enroll in a class for swim lessons was almost up!
Sheesh! So Noah goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays for the next three weeks.

There are five children in Noah's class. They are the Pikes. Miss Shelby is his instructor. She is very patient and very attentive. She takes a child one at a time down and back learning all kinds of swimming techniques. The other four sit on the side of the pool waiting their turns. There are at least two life guards standing behind the children at all times. I feel confident if a child fell in, the rescue time would be swift. Noah; however, makes me incredibly nervous! He likes to test his boundaries - leaning out over the water, trying to scoot down to the next step, fidgeting around the edge - but his instructor is very quick to get on to him which makes me feel better. Parents aren't allowed in the pool area. We watch through a window. So when Noah is testing his boundaries, I have to turn from the window to keep from banging on it like a mad woman because he might fall in. I just turn my face and pray.

By the second lesson, Miss Shelby wasn't holding on to Noah in the green
floaty. He was swimming all on his own and loving it. He is also learning to float without help. He practices in the bath tub at night now. The only thing he is timid about is going under the water. The whole issue with water up the nose isn't very fun for him. (I completely get that. I
still hold my nose. Laugh. I know it's funny.) So at least this way we might be busy, but Noah is learning some very useful, yet fun, survival skills - how to swim.