Noah is becoming quite the little reader for an 18 month old. I am so thankful he loves books. Being a reading teacher, I see the ease and independency my advanced readers have in all their subjects and their reading ability affects the type of student they are -confident, intelligent, creative. And then I watch my remedial students - how they struggle with simple vocabulary, aren't interested in books and can't concentrate on elementary text. I catch myself thinking in class, "Please Lord let Noah possess a love for reading."
I think he does. I took Noah to the Moore Public Library because I needed a couple extra copies of a book I'm reading with my remedial students. (Leave it to public school to not have enough supplies *smile.) Unfortunately, the book I needed was checked out - and rightly so because it's great book! So instead Noah and I played in the children's area and then got some picture books. Right now he is into bugs - especially ladybugs. We got a book all about ladybugs and a lot of books about Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go! (Noah's other obsession).
We have read these books nonstop since bringing them home. Noah has a great ability to concentrate at his age. He will sit with you for hours listening to you read as he studies the pictures. (Maybe it's because I read with such expression that it keeps him entertained!) He loves to point to things pictured and have you say them again and again. He's learning what each thing is. He's really into the alphabet right now. "O", "W" and "H" are his favorites. Random, I know. He can find the "O" well. He likes to sing the alphabet song, too. It's just a bunch of mumbling, but he's understanding there's a tune and an order. Numbers also interest him. He loves to count things in books. He gets his pointer finger ready for you to guide it across the page.
I pray his love for reading continues. I'm sure at some point he will hate reading. I certainly did. I hope he finds enjoyment out of reading. Being good at reading opens so many windows into other avenues academically. Since I've started writing this post, Noah has climbed into my lap several times to read three of his favorite books. We read several times a day. I make it a point to drop what I'm doing when Noah brings me a book. Reading is so important.